I am seriously dysfunctional when it comes to decorating, and dressing for that matter. If it isn't put together for me on the manequin, I don't know what to do. Now I have a beautiful new house, and I know it is not living up to its' potential. Help!

Sunday 14 August 2011

Fabric Ideas

Kitchen/Family Room



So here is what I am thinking......my family room and kitchen are virtually all one big room, separated by a half half-wall. The walls are painted a very neutral tan in both and my cabinets and built ins are still a yucky brown, but I hoping to have my nanny's boyfriend paint them soon:) When I do paint them white, I want to do the back of the bookshelves in the sage green that we have in the rug and also in our powder room. I hope that makes a bit of a "pop" but not too much. I have the rug in the family room that has the cranberry, coral, sage-ish green, tan, yellow and a pale orange in it, that although it has a stain on it, it was too expensive to replace. So the colors have to come from that. Then I bought the indoor/outdoor rug for under the kitchen table that is a summer black with a tan geometic design on it.....which, BTW, I LOVE! You can't see the spills and it is so easy to clean! Very durable:)


So, above are the fabrics I have pulled together. Of course, I forget how much each cost already. Starting with the green print (ufab, around $10 I think), I thought that would be nice for a throw pillow to help pull in the green from the rug and the back of the bookshelves. The ticking stripe is a thin cotton fabric in a nice coral, but I am not sure if I will use it or not (found at Williams & Sherrill around $15). The other two coral geometic fabrics I love!!! and they are both reversible. They are pretty heavy material and I was thinking of using them to recover my kitchen chair seat cushions??? (found at Williams & Sherrill and maybe $20-$25, I wish I could remember). Do you think this would look okay with the geometric rug? Should I do the coral side or the off-white side?


The tan with coral dots fabric is being used to make two panels as we speak for the family room (ufab, $20 per yard?). I have seen one so far and my mom is a genius! I think they will look great, but hopefully not too much tan on the tan walls. Hoping to make a throw pillow or two with the leftover material. The coral coral fabric I love as well (from ufab, can't remember the price), and I was thinking of doing a valence in this for the kitchen? Would that do okay with the geometric rug and chair cushions? The colors match great:) I was then going to do a throw pillow to pull it together, and maybe use the coral coral fabric as the tie-backs on the drapes?


The only other thing in the pic is the paint chip of the sage green paint.





Bedroom


I want to redo our bedroom in a bad way, but want to do it cheaply. Shown above is a left-over duvet cover that we registered for, but have never used. This is serious Pottery Barn wastage....and I think I should put it to good use! It also happens to be the exact same shade of blue as our wall color in there, that is very soothing and so recently painted, that my husband would kill me if I changed it. So......I want to build around this, but not have too much blue, blue, blue in there. And, with two boys and some insecurity about whether or not there will be a Baby #3 for us, I am craving some pink. The geometric fabric in the center (ufab, price unknown) is great and bright and has some texture to it. Maybe curtains? or just a throw pillow? I have a feeling my husband won't like that one unfortunately. The striped fabric is a Waverly fabric (available at ufab or Williams & Sherill outlet for only $11 or so a yard I believe!) that my mom thinks would make great curtains since it has a little bit of a seersucker texture, but I don't want too much blue on blue.....Then, the floral fabric is so neat and bright and so non-boy, I am thinking either curtains or large shams for the bed? We have two regular windows on either side of our bed, but then a large double palladian window in the front of the room that I do not know what to do about curtain wise. Love the decorative windows on the outside of a house, not such a fan of them on the inside.





Dining Room


Our dining room is currently painted cranberry on the bottom, tan on the top......it doesn't work with the attached living room, so I am thinking of doing a soft blue on the bottom and doing a stripe with the paint....Here are just a few fabrics that I saw at ufab that were really cheap and nice texture to either make curtains or just recover the chairs. We have a really formal dining room set that we bought while I was pregnant, and now I think it is just too fancy for our style, but alas....We have eaten in there once:)






2 comments:

  1. GIRL!!! You dont need our help! Youve got it all figured out!!! LOVE your choices! Cant wait to see the tan/dot panels! That fabric is gorgeous! You have done some serious work on this! Love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY second Richmond Thrifter's comment!!! LOVE the fabric, awesome job! Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete